Monday, September 27, 2010

Quiet...Shhhh

Well, I am several weeks into my "empty nest" and maybe, just maybe, I am getting used to the quiet!  I haven't had as much time on my hands as I thought I would have.  My husband is home more often, so I am only by myself a portion of the week...not too bad.  I also volunteer at my church, so that takes time.  I have been visiting my children pretty often and that uses more time.  We are in the middle of renovating our home and much of what is left to be done is going to be up to me. 

The biggest problem with all that quiet is that I finally have time to think.  Now I know that seems like an odd statement, but let me explain.  Part of my day is spent on the phone with my children, which I dearly love.  I get to hear about their joys, triumphs, and positive experiences...a great way to still feel needed.  I also get to hear about the problems, fears, and anxiety of growing and spreading their wings...again I feel needed.  The problem comes when I start thinking about the people in my children's lives that cause them to doubt themselves.  I want so desperately to rush in and "fix" the problems so it is smooth sailing for them.  But...I know that wouldn't allow them to grow and spread their wings.  I get angry with those that treat them badly, or hurt their feelings.  I can imagine the "momma bear" in me coming out!  I want to protect them like I did when they were small and lash out at those that treat them unfairly.  But that won't help them, only make me feel better.  If they are to be able to handle all that life throws at them, they have to deal with these problems themselves.  I pray that they will rest on their faith in God to lead them through their trials and I can step back and allow God to work in and through them. 

I thought that I would be able to start a business like I have dreamed of for years, but the economy and a few other surprises have put that on hold for now.  So I am spending a little time learning new software that I have gotten recently.  I will work on the house, but I have to have a little time for "play".  There are so many things I want to learn and do!  I guess I have the rest of my life to try them all, but I can't wait.  I want to do it all right now. lol  For now, I will continue to enjoy my quiet!

1 comment: