Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Independence Day

Whew!  I have just gotten home from an 11 hour trip and can't seem to settle down enough to go to bed.  I suppose I slept too much in the car.

This has been a wonderful, exhausting, fun weekend and I hate that it is over.  My oldest daughter starts Vet school tomorrow.  I wondered many times if that would ever come to be, but it has.  We went to see her "coating" ceremony last week.  The school she is going to gives them a colored lab coat with their names on it when they enter their Freshman year.  She will get her white coat when she finishes her course work.  While I was watching the students being called up to receive their coats, I finally realized that her dream of many years will come true.  She has reminded me that she has to pass all her classes, but I know with her determination and our prayers, it will be a reality in four years.  I was holding my great neice during the ceremony and couldn't help thinking about the short (at least in my mind) time ago that my daughter was that small.  When our children are young, we think the time will never pass.  When they are grown, we wonder why we wanted the time to pass at all.  There never seems to be enough time to say and do all we want with our children.  I suppose every mother feels the same way.  We just hope we said enough and loved enough to give our children the foundation they needed.

The rest of the weekend was spent working on the house our children live in.  It is such a joy to work on that house, because it is ours and we are fixing it for our pleasure.  We always "fix" the houses we live in but not until we are ready to sell it.  I never get to enjoy all the hard work!  We put a fence up around the back yard for the dogs that they have living with them.  I wanted to make it easier for them to take care of their dogs and for an outside area that the dogs could enjoy.   We also did some repairs and updates inside.  I was helping my daughters set their room up since they will be sharing a room this year.  They have asked two of their friends to live with them so that leaves my girls being roomates again!  It has been many years since they have shared a room-it will be interesting to see how this plays out.  I hope to go back sometime this summer and work in the flower beds and yard trimming trees. 

My son will be going to the same school as the girls are, but he will be living in the dorm.  I am so glad they will be together.  When you are having a tough time, it is always good to have family close by. The girls love to tell him what to do!!!  He loves it too, but has to act as though he hates it.  He got to meet some people this weekend and that has helped eased a little of the apprehension of leaving home.  At least he knows meeting people isn't all that hard if you just be yourself.

So very much to be grateful for this Independence day.  I live in a country that I am free to go where I please and do as I please.  I can also raise my children as I please.  All this freedom has come at a price that is paid by many willing to give their time, energy, and sometime even their lives so we all could live in peace.  We owe a debt of grattitude that can never be repaid to these men and women in our armed services.  The very least we can do is to never forget what they have done. 

Not a lot to say tonight, just a few reflections of the weekend. So good night, or rather good morning~

No comments:

Post a Comment